Evelyn: Don't worry about 'why' when 'what' is right in front of you. (The Shape of Things)

Monday, September 18, 2006

[New story] The contemplative seagull

Pictures: Pescadero Beach, CA
Yeah, that's related to the title...

"You don't know what I see out there. You don't even SEE, not to talk about knowing! I am for you like you are for God - just one... encounter. Is it? Maybe... I see...
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world
(Louis Armstrong, What a wonderful world)


Yes, it's a wonderful world! But I see the neverending. I see life closer to the essence than can you, because I am part of this world and you are not.
Why are you not, do you know? I'm looking at you, can't you see?

Raise your hand if you've ever felt out of this world. Can't you see, for God's sake (or mine, if not) that you're not even trying? Are you even in touch? 99% of the time you live the life of man. YOU have created this life... and it is not life as any of us, creatures, know it. Your living is for the society, or/and for something virtual. VIRTUAL. What is life to you? Is it really life? What is the life of man? It can't even be called that, anymore. Look at you, you pathetic worm. Okay, I don't mean that. I'm just a bird, what do I know...
No, I'm not upset with you. You shouldn't go away just like that... you should listen to what you don't like, as I hope you still have in you the last bit of humanity to recognize that you are not what you were born to be, you are not... human. Do you think you are?
Look at this. What do you see?
Yes. I have brothers and sisters. Have you?

Look, I don't want you to think too much. I don't want to harm you; but maybe you could feel... the world. Is there a real world? Don't you prefer not to live in it? Why? Why, why, why? Didn't your (man)kind make this world into the 'as is' version of today? Do you hate mankind? Or any man? Why? Do you FEEL yourself? Cause I think you just ignore the very base of your existence - YOU. What is this 'I' people are always talking about? What's your self, personal identity, your being and time?
Why are you alone even with me? I am here, you are here. Other human beings are here, other birds are here. Why, then, you are alone?
So, maybe you did something stupid. Maybe you don't know who you are. If you do, congrats! Would you tell a bird that?... Ehhh, time to think about it...

I still live the old way - fight for the food, look for my love, fly out into the ocean... and even if I get caught in the wave...
... I always remember who I am, and what I'm doing here, in this world...
Do I care about you? Of course I don't.
That's why I'll leave you alone now...
Or should I leave you with your self?"

There's an allegory of the cave, better concerning with the discrepance between what is real and what is imaginary. A preconception of The Matrix, now popular movie, in some way. Long story short, some people are held facing the wall of a cave; they see the shadows of objects projected by fire and eventually one of them breaks free of the "slavery". What happens next, and between, you may see in the text. Although the assumptions or the words may seem a bit out of their place for you (or better said, you might disagree with how thoughts are displayed), the ideas behind the text are marvelous in themselves, and are the beginning of a new thinking. A great quote I found on this is "When facing our reality with another, we are afraid to look behind the shadows, to transcend."

This is it, and here's the link to the text: The Republic, by Plato
Oh, and, if you're interested in debating anything about this post, just... leave a comment ffs! :D

Special thanks to:
Marius, for most of the pictures
Also thanks to:
The "Intro to philosophy" course, and the great "unpredictable laws of nature" (quoting my teacher) for timing this just right.

Thanks for reading thus far. If you want more pictures, just contact me for a link!


What do you think about the above story?
Great! I want more journeys like this one!
Nice. I'd read one from time to time.
Ok, maybe I'll come read one another time.
Sad, I don't like it.
Silly.
Boring.
Free polls from Pollhost.com


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

...but that won’t make me fly! That won’t give me wings either...and I have a disadvantage more: I can talk.
I see what you mean.you know,I do not want to make you feel sad but you wouldn’t be as you are,you wouldn’t know what you know if you could just...TALK.
I agree with you in everything you said about the human being,but just do not forgrt this: we can not fly and you can not talk.
How this thoughts of mine will come to you and how those thoughts of yours came to me ...i do not know.that’s a mystery.isn’t it?

So,please...could you give me your wings? I would give you my words!
You would teach me how to fly and I would teach you how to speak.then you and me will learn how to dream...maybe without wings or words.

Anonymous said...

P.S.: cat de aproape de soare ai fost?

Paul said...

Hey, flying is not the issue here! But you can fly without wings.

We will learn, but we forget...


Re: P.S.: Nici nu se putea mai aproape, si era departe...