Evelyn: Don't worry about 'why' when 'what' is right in front of you. (The Shape of Things)

Monday, August 28, 2006

[New story] Back to life...


"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning." - Gloria Steinem - Chapter sixteen

back to reality... or not. This is so unreal...

You can't imagine what it's like to be here, now, when just 3 weeks ago you were in Ro. It's so different... maybe in a good way. I'm starting to figure out more and more about how things work around here, and, you know what? I think that if you FEEL on track, you have a greater chance of actually being on it. And I feel that one can do a whole lot of adaptation, and ... change the world?! Maybe?! It's just ... a chance. Everyone's different here. You can be anyone. Nobody will see you as being "too unusual". They're all unusual.

Americans are practical people. Maybe they're not as smart or cultured as us (or the Europeans), but they certainly have a pleasant, relaxed way of living. Sure, when you go to someone for a problem, he only knows either how to help you, or who to send you to (usually you end up in the second case if you don't know how the system works). Maybe you find it silly to get sent from office to office, because they don't communicate, they don't know each other that well, and they are only taught what they need to know... but the way you're treated makes up for that. If in Ro there's that "get the hell out of my way and move on to ya biz" attitude, here... people smile at you. And... that's weird, sure, but, you know, it actually makes you feel better?! And, like it or not, people are weaker here. "The law" cares if you are morally agressed (and Americans are sensitive to that), while in Ro, it just don't give a damn :D.

We could learn education, but they're really bad with math. I mean... really, really bad. And our children are gonna be the same by how the Romanian education is evolving... :(

My mom's taking care of a little boy now, some friends', and I went to see them today. I have always had that feeling that I don't know what to do around little children. You know, they've got these... analogies for every word they know... like... liloo meant ambulance, or anything that makes a siren-like sound. He understood Romanian, he even knew a few words, but mostly he "talked" in English. He's only two years old. We watched cartoons together (at least those I understand better :D). Children are fascinating...

Anyone who can read this better write me something, cause I'll be really waiting for a sign... any sign, especially from my Romanians. Just imagine what it's like to hear so little from the place you're so far away from, all of a sudden. I miss you all...

I like my math classes (even though I got an 8/10 on my last homework - but I have a reason for that, I did it in 30 minutes from the teacher's book, cause I had to give it back to him asap), they're fun. Even though it's easy yet, ... And I like it that I get to learn Java in my Computer Science lecture&lab. And today I was in a Introduction to philosophy class... I hope I'll be able to enroll, cause it was kinda full; but it was really nice. Teachers here are much more enjoyable people, fun to be around; they like to make jokes, speak lively, tell from their own experience... personalize. There's only one other place in the world I felt this warm (and fuzzy; speaking of you, where you at?): my high school!

I know: it's only been a week since I started college, but I already feel different than I felt in Ro, in high school. I think I'll make my life full here too. I like to have a full life; sports, math, computer science, english and philosophy... maybe something else, but these are my most certain passions.

Romania, where are you? (Scooby-Dooby-Doo)

...

You are not alone. I am here with you. Whether you like it or not, we are stuck together. In sickness, and in health, we were born ... to ... BE. And we were born together.

Whether we like it or not, we are here to live, all on the same planet, and we have to understand the world around us means the actual world - not some living fantasy, not "the people of today only". It means a LIFE. If you just go from human to human and leave nothing behind, you are... nothing. Either morally or ... as a presence, as an entity, you should BE. To be remembered is not necessarily a good thing, but it might be, if you do it right.

Today in philosophy we learned the comparison BEING vs BECOMING. We, each of us, is a being. Every being is different from another. And a being cannot be created. God is the only one who can create beings... that's what separates us from him. No man can think the non-being. That's a rule - you can't think NOTHINGNESS. I think that's very interesting. See, we have this picture of nothing: it's usually dark, to some people white... and that's kinda it. Sure, you can imagine it another color. But if nothing were to BE, wouldn't it be in black&white?:)
Absolute being is absolute reality. The reason we can't achieve absolute being is that we're always hindered by the becoming. To become means to change... Oh, you should hear these passages. Wait a sec, I have the book, I'll copy some passsages:

{from Indian philosophy}
Rg Veda (read Rig Veda) - Hymm of Creation

1. Non-being then existed not, nor being:
There was no air, nor sky that is beyond it.
What was concealed? Wherein? In whose protection?
And was there deep unfathomable water?
{Here, the idea of nothingness being first, and then... the idea that the fundament of existence is water, also found in the later Greek philosophy - Thales}
[...]
3. Darkness there was at first by darkness hidden.
Without distinctive marks, this all was water.
That which, becoming, by the void was covered.
That One by force of heat came into being.
{Came into being... interesting. By heat? Just think about it - over 3500 years ago, these people had some kind of Big Bang theory of their own!}
6. Who knows for certain? Who shall here declare it?
Whence was it born, and whence came this creation?
The gods were born after this world's creation:
Then who can know from whence it has arisen?

7. None knoweth whence creation has arise;
And whether he has or has not produced it;
He who surveys it in the highest heaven,
He only knows, or haply he may know not.
{Here we have the unique idea that God was created after nothing. Not even He existed before... And also that nobody can tell anything about this creation - it's just a speculation.
The final two lines show the fact that the human being's quest for the answer to "How did it happen?" is contempt, happy and satisfied even with the idea of having tried, having asked himself that question.}

Tell me if you find any of this interesting... We also studied a bit of Tao, Thales, Confucius, Pithagoras...

// By the way, I just saw Big Momma's house 2, and definitely recommend it :)

Hello Romania! I'm back to life. And I'll be on my feet, I hope. Searching this place for the most I can make of myself, I suppose... I just wanna let me be... me. Fuzzy...

"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time." - Georgia O'Keeffe - End of Chapter sixteen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...orice loc nou ivit mintii si ochilor devine pretios prin ceea ce poarta cu sine sufletul,memoria afectiva.ea claseaza locul in centrul fiintei umane,acolo unde toate se intampla.si parca locul nu mai e asa nou
uite ca visul tau real mi-a amintit de ceea ce am citit recent, care mie-mi place mult: "vizibil si mobil ,trupul meu este printre lucruri,e unul din aceste lucruri,e prins in tesatura lumii.insa fiindca vede si misca el pastreaza lucrurile ca intr-un cerc in jurul sau"

and keep on smiling!

Unknown said...

You asked for a comment :-)
I don't know much about Romanian culture, but I hope you don't feel so lost anymore :-)

Paul said...

I asked for a comment? :)

Aww, thanks! I definitely don't feel so lost anymore. And you're helping ;)